Thursday, February 23, 2006

Balance

When I was in grade school, I can remember the P.E. teacher (Mr. Moore - the one that gave me my first nick name..."twinkle toes"...I hated it) having to spend extra time with me on balancing exercises. It's pretty simple, I couldn't even walk a straight line. They had me practicing to walk down one of the painted lines in the gym without losing my balance. After trying baseball, basketball and other sports I finally figured out in Middle School that running didn't take a great deal of coordination and found a sport I could handle.

Balance.

It seems I have always struggled with it and I still do today. As an adult, my problems with coordination just means that I am clumsy. I have broken almost all of my toes over the course of my life and I am plain dangerous with a knife.

My issue with balance seems to also manifest itself in non-physical parts of my life. I have always been the kind of person that is easily distracted. I focus really hard on one thing and then I have to catch up on the rest. I've known this about myself for a long time, however I've had little success in dealing with it.

Lately, I have had a bit more success with this, but it's been hard. It's like when you finally realize that you are an adult and that you have to do things that you don't want to, but you do them anyway. I sometimes get just plain mad about having to change gears...let's just say my transmission is like one of those old trucks that you have to muscle the gearshifter to get the car into the right gear. You can get the job done, but doing it is tough (sometimes it takes two hands) and wears you out over time. Also, once you get it into the next gear you are more inclined to keep it there longer than you might normally because of the effort it takes to change it.

Guess I better stock up on transmission fluid.

No comments:

"...Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect the Lord's glory, are being transformed into his likeness with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit." 2 Corinthians 3:7-18