Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Leap of Faith...

Remember in "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade" when Indiana had to just step out into nothing? I remember the first time I saw that on the big screen. I was still deep into my fear of heights (which I have since come a long way with) and just watching him do that made my skin crawl and my hands sweat. He knew what he had to do, he knew that something good was going to happen, he knew that it was the right thing to do...but that didn't make it easy on him.

Imagine that moment just after he made the decision to actually do it, he was falling and there was no looking back. That instant when he was too far to step back and not yet on solid ground.

I know God has a plan for me. I know that he wants to use me for his service and that my life is a constant build up to better things in his service. Bad things happen, but He uses them to steel me into a stronger instrument for His use. Good things happen and they come from Him to charge my batteries and remind me of how awesome He is.

Either way, I want to follow him, wherever it takes me.

Just saying that sends chills up my spine...makes my skin crawl and my hands sweat. I have never had this feeling before. Following God has always been, in a word...safe. It's been the one thing that brought normalcy into my life, the thing that made me...stable. Now, things just feel different...and I have never felt more alive.

Let me see, has this happened before? I know that there were some fishermen that were going about their lives as good, God-loving men that probably never imagined that their lives were about to take a dramatic change in course. They were mere men, simple men, not spiritual giants...far from it, but God had a plan for them. I can only imagine that he had been secretly preparing them for this all their lives. He guided them to be who they were and put them in the right place at the right time.

When Indiana touched the solid ground of the invisible bridge his heart must have skipped a beat. My foot is free falling, I'm not looking back and I can't wait to make this step.

I know God is there and I have never felt more alive.
"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
Jeremiah 29:11

No comments:

"...Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect the Lord's glory, are being transformed into his likeness with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit." 2 Corinthians 3:7-18