Friday, November 11, 2005

"Big Bang"...Revisited

Don't look in my previous posts for another "Big Bang" entry; there isn't one. When I was in college (a Christian College) I wrote a term paper for a Christian Evidences class about the "Big Bang Theory".

My theory about the "Big Bang Theory" was that it is a plausible, human description of what God did to create this thing we call the universe. Although I received a decent grade because of the work I had done, my teacher had some things to say about my "theory". I don't remember what the teacher said, but he was not convinced. Either was my father-in-law when I shared it with him.

Now, years later (OK, many years later) on reflection, I had it right, even though I'm sure that I would state the case differently now.

Think about it, you have a bunch of scientific types observing all things that are observable in the universe and trying to figure out how it all happened. They choose to only believe what they can see, hear, taste, touch or measure. What other conclusion can they come up with? The evidence is right in front of their faces and they need not look any further.

As a Christian it's obvious to me and I need not look any further than
Genesis 1:1 "In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth."
However, my feeble, human mind cannot comprehend how God can do that so I have to picture something. What the scientists miss is that MAYBE what God did may look like a "Big Bang", but he did it just the same and he spoke the universe into existence.

Maybe that's why it's still just a theory...

No comments:

"...Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect the Lord's glory, are being transformed into his likeness with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit." 2 Corinthians 3:7-18