Thursday, September 07, 2006

Minefields

My parents divorced when I was about 3 years old. I have never met my "father", but I know he's pretty much a deadbeat.

One of the questions I get asked from time to time is "what's it like not having a father?". For a long time in my life I have answered that question the same way..."you don't miss what you never had". I can honestly say at 43 years old that statement is a bunch of baloney - one made up to make it sound like it's "no big deal".

Well, it IS a good thing that he was not a part of my life during my formative years so he did not influence me in any way (it would not have been good). However, I really could have used a REAL father to guide me through the minefields of life.

As a father myself, I want nothing more than to see my two boys grow up to love the Lord and be successful and happy. I look forward to helping to guide them around the landmines and point them toward the flowers as they grow up.

Yes I did miss having a father, but I often think that God had a plan for me and that it included getting me as far away from that man as possible.

So...my heavenly father just moved one big landmine out of the way... Wow...he is awesome.

No comments:

"...Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect the Lord's glory, are being transformed into his likeness with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit." 2 Corinthians 3:7-18