Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Things I Learned on FiveAndTwo Tour 2009

Another tour has come and gone... It all hit me last night and this morning and the exhaustion set in. The great thing for me is that unlike the other two tours with this group I didn't have a meltdown! Also, as a group, we handled a lot of things that were thrown at us and turned possible setbacks or disasters into blessings...wait, did I say WE did that? I mean God did that...we just helped a little.

If I had to come up with a theme song for this tour it would be "Nothing Ever Goes As Planned" by Styx.

Some things I learned:
1) Never bank on Atlanta traffic - I already knew this, but I must have forgotten...

2) I love my new Blackberry! Used it tons on this trip from uploading pics directly to Facebook for family and friends to see... To figuring out where we could go INSTEAD OF the Coca-Cola Museum because we were stuck in traffic for and hour and a half... To managing 29 kids' and their parents' cell numbers without paper...

3) Always give your best, even when you don't feel like it.

4) Make a "contract" with those you are visiting to share the program with so they don't change the venue AT THE LAST MINUTE outdoors with no video and a CD player that only works half the time during a heat wave.

5) Make the best of it even when you are stuck in a place you don't want to be...let God provide the increase!

6) You CAN go to "the beach" and never see the ocean.

7) Kids are gonna do stuff you told them not to do or vice versa...no reason to take it personally...

8) I LOVE hotel room air-conditioning...slept like a baby...

9) Pulling up to a restaurant with 37 people and telling them we just want to eat during an economic downturn is really easy and you end up being well taken care of...or maybe they are just nice...thanks Mellow Mushroom!

10) Yes, a teenager can eat sausage, eggs, biscuits, cookie ice-cream sandwich and a pint of Hagen Daz ice-cream for breakfast!

11) Dropping a cell phone in the sewer makes it a very expensive toy that does nothing (it wasn't me).

12) I'll do it all again next year - if the elders let us, if God provides and the kids are willing...

Thanks for a great tour!

No comments:

"...Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect the Lord's glory, are being transformed into his likeness with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit." 2 Corinthians 3:7-18