Wednesday, May 03, 2006

The Trees

I have been lucky enough to live my entire life in a climate that has 4 distinct seasons. One of the things I always look forward to each year is that time when the trees literally explode over the course of a few weeks. They go from bare branches to shade-making green fireballs.

Just the other day, I took a break from working and walked around outside for a few minutes and I noticed it...again.

One leaf rubbing against another makes a sound so indiscernible that only a dog might hear it. But it has to make some sound because, when several thousand rub against each other at the same time when the wind is blowing through the trees it makes a very soothing sound...rustling.

Just think, you can't hear two, how about 10, 100, 200? It takes a lot of leaves to hear a tree rustle, but when it does...wow. However, if each leaf decided not to move and touch others then we wouldn't get to hear the rustling sound.

Isn't that true of life? My voice, my part in life might be small, but it's important to the rustling of the world.

No comments:

"...Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect the Lord's glory, are being transformed into his likeness with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit." 2 Corinthians 3:7-18