Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Rooster Cogburn

I'm not a BIG fan of westerns, but my grandparents were...BIG TIME. They specifically liked John Wayne. Since I spent most of my childhood years in their home I have seen a lot of John Wayne movies. The Cowboys, Hellfighters...True Grit.

I was flipping channels the other day and I came across True Grit and I was suddenly mesmerized...the surfing stopped on a dime. That movie is like a warm blanket that takes me a back years to when I lived with my grandparents.

By today's standards it's a lightweight, even though John Wayne won an academy award for it. To me...it's pure gold. I look at Rooster Cogburn and think of my grandaddy. Hard and weathered on the outside and soft as down pillow on the inside. Funny, confident, smart, a friend to everyone he met...unforgettable.

I really miss him, but "Rooster" helps me to remember him.

Lately, when I am frustrated with people around me that give me grief about the decisions I have made in my spiritual life I think of grandaddy. I can only imagine him in heaven watching what is going on and knowing my heart and urging me to press on and smiling... He wants to come down here and kick those that are frustrating me in the teeth and at the same time he wants to just sit with me and comfort me and make me laugh. That's grandaddy.

Grandaddy, I really miss you and I can't wait to see you again.

No comments:

"...Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect the Lord's glory, are being transformed into his likeness with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit." 2 Corinthians 3:7-18