Wednesday, December 22, 2004

Learning to Fly - Part 1

Throughout history man has looked into the skies and dreamed of flying, of soaring like eagles. Me, I have looked into the skies and my hands just get sweaty. For most of my life, I have wondered why anyone would choose to fly, let alone enjoy it.

I have spent a good portion of my life using ground transportation. That's not to say that I hadn't been on a plane before, just not very often and each time was dramatic and memorable. I really can't remember when my fear of flying started, it's always been there. Of course, over the years it grew like some sort of infection, spreading and gripping me more and more as time passed.

After years and years of being terrified of flying, to the point that I wondered if I would ever get in a plane again, one day I just decided that I would do it. I needed to go to Atlanta (about an hour plane ride) with a number of my co-workers. I had grown to enjoy the company of many of them and they felt safe. They well knew about my fear and when I told them that I would be flying with them and not driving and meeting them there they were excited and supportive. The trip turned out good and it was the beginnings of bigger things to come.

Over the last 10 years or so, I have had to fly a handful of times and I have done so with some reluctance. For a time, I had resigned myself to the idea that this was just something that I didn't like and that it may always be difficult for me. Luckily, I didn't have to fly very often.

Until now.

In the last 2-3 months I have flown at least twice a month and that may increase before it gets less. So, once again, I have had to look one of my biggest fears straight in the face. In the process, my life is changing again and once again I am putting my life in God's hands.

More later.

No comments:

"...Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect the Lord's glory, are being transformed into his likeness with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit." 2 Corinthians 3:7-18