Tuesday, July 20, 2004

Spontaneous Part One

Can spontaneous, interactive worship be pleasing to God?

I almost find that question offensive...yet, there are many around me that ask that question over and over again and come up with an answer that shows their fear of what would happen to worship if we "let go of the reigns".

I have been brainwashed my entire life with the notion that we (the Churches of Christ) are trying to imitate the Church of the first century, yet the answer you get from this question perplexes me. If you study the Bible and look at how the Christians of the first century worshipped God you see nothing but spontaneity and interaction.

Worship for the first century Christians was a living, breathing activity that required all of themselves. Not, the unilateral, funeral-like pattern we have adopted. God-fearing souls of today call for order and solemness in our corporate worship, yet what really happened during the early days of the Church was something that we would never recognize today. Men spontaneously reading scripture, raising holy hands in heart-felt prayer to God, and singing all sorts of songs.

A few months ago I made vow to myself and shared it with my friends and family. I have been a song leader since I was about 12 years old and plan on doing it until my vocal cords will no longer function. Over time, song leading has become routine and rote, just something...I do. No more.

No more opening the song book and picking the first 5 songs that I like, an invitation song (from the 900 section) and a song for before the Lord's Supper. No more of the following "We will now sing number 438, (pause) number 4-3-8 (pause), (pitch), (pause)...." You get the point. I just can't do it anymore, and I won't.

I am throwing out the part of me that want's to do things the easy way and just get up there and get it done. Good-bye.

More later.


No comments:

"...Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect the Lord's glory, are being transformed into his likeness with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit." 2 Corinthians 3:7-18