Monday, August 23, 2004

Go

"Leave your country, your people and your father's household and go to the land I will show you. " (Genesis 12:1)


God spoke to Abram and told him to go, just go and let me lead you. To us centuries later, this can seem like just a story, but it really happened. A man named Abram spoke to God and God asked him to trust him and put his life, everything he knew (for 75 years!) in his hands, lay it all on the line, just...let...go.

Saying that faith like this is "uncommon" doesn't even come close to recognizing it. Abram's faith was incredible.

God had great things planned for Abram, things beyond this farmer's wildest imagination. God has always chosen simple men to do his greatest work. A few others (off the top of my head), Moses, John the Baptist, Peter... What had Abram done to deserve this? Why did God choose this man to "father" his chosen people? Why did Christ ask a burly, hard-headed, quick-tempered fisherman to lead his Church? Why did God "nudge" a meek shepherd to free his people? I don't know and I don't believe that it's necessary that I do know. How could I presume to comprehend God's master plan? It would be like looking into the face of eternity and trying to grasp it while standing on this earth. Everytime I try I tremble in fear and amazement at God's awesome reach.

When I think of the things that God has asked of me in my life and hold them up to the kinds of things that people like Abram, Moses and Peter did I just have to sigh and say "what am I so afraid of?" It's not like God is asking me to drop what I am doing and leave with the clothes on my back and head off to somewhere I have never been to teach people that will insult me and try to kill me (and eventually succeed). I have never spent a night in jail because of my belief in Christ, I have never faced a mob of angry people who wish to kill me, I have never been asked to denouce Christ or die.

Knowing all of that does not make following Christ as easy as it may seem. There are many days when I just look into the sky and ask God to show me what he has in store for me. "God, what are you doing? Where am I supposed to go? " My two-dimensional mind just can't grasp what God is doing in my life. I perceive road-blocks where God has put stairs and I complain about struggles where God is molding me through adversity.

Still, God understands that I don't get it and he continues to "hit me over the head" with the answers. I am dense and don't always learn from my mistakes, just like a child that continues to stray off the path into the woods with the parent leading them back to the path and away from the the danger in the woods. He still loves me and cares for me and that is why he has a path for me and he longs for me to follow him down that path.

God has great things planned for each of us, if we will follow him. He has proven it over and over again. He patiently waits for us to continually remember that for which he has made us.

"O people of Zion, who live in Jerusalem, you will weep no more. How gracious he will be when you cry for help! As soon as he hears, he will answer you. Although the Lord gives you the bread of adversity and the water of affliction, your teachers will be hidden no more; with your own eyes you will see them. Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, "This is the way; walk in it." " (Isaiah 30:19-21)

"Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men." At once they left their nets and followed him. " (Matthew 4:19,20)

No comments:

"...Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect the Lord's glory, are being transformed into his likeness with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit." 2 Corinthians 3:7-18