Monday, June 07, 2004

Meant to Live

Once again, my son is an inspiration to me.

We were talking a few days ago about a song that I had noticed and I asked him what he thought about it. The song was "Meant to Live" by Switchfoot. He told me that Switchfoot was a "Christian Band" (I recognize that his difinition of "Christian Band" is far reaching) and the next thing I knew we were at Best Buy with it in my hand (THAT is a BIG DEAL - I buy almost ALL of my CD's on Ebay, but I didn't want to wait for this one).

I just read the lyrics to "Meant To Live" and as I reached the end of the song I couldn't resist a smile and some goosebumps. Here's what got me.

"We want more that this world's got to offer... And everything inside screams for second life. We were meant to Live."


Here is a group of young people, with talent and fame and a bright future in front of them. Yet, they acknowledge that the things of this world are not what they were made for. This world does not offer what we need to live, however we can live if we recognize that life comes from somewhere else...Christ...inside us.

Take a look at the words of God through Paul in Philippians 3:12,14 ...I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

Here's another one. Once again, Paul, this time talking to the Corinthians (and us) tells us that we should be longing for what is coming after this life. 2 Corinthians 5:1-6 Now we know that if the earthly tent we live in is destroyed, we have a building from God, an eternal house in heaven, not built by human hands. Meanwhile we groan, longing to be clothed with our heavenly dwelling, because when we are clothed, we will not be found naked. For while we are in this tent, we groan and are burdened, because we do not wish to be unclothed but to be clothed with our heavenly dwelling, so that what is mortal may be swallowed up by life. Now it is God who has made us for this very purpose and has given us the Spirit as a deposit, guaranteeing what is to come. Therefore we are always confident and know that as long as we are at home in the body we are away from the Lord.

I want to thank groups like Switchfoot. I don't know much about them, I don't know their real morals, I don't know if they go to Church and especially WHAT Church they may go to. But I want to thank them for this...giving my son (and kids like him - and me too!) great MUSIC with a message that gives them hope. There is SO MUCH GARBAGE out there for our kids to get caught up in...and they do! I'm not suggesting this music as a replacement for Bible study, devotionals, worship and the like, but as an addition, and as a replacement of the other garbage out there.

I just have to smile. :)

No comments:

"...Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect the Lord's glory, are being transformed into his likeness with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit." 2 Corinthians 3:7-18