Friday, May 28, 2004

My son's influence

I have two boys that I'm sure I will talk a lot about. My oldest is 15 and a raging teenager, but an exceptional one. He is very well grounded in his Christianity for someone of his age and very much more at ease with who he is (well adjusted) than I was at his age.

One of the many cool things about him is that we share a lot of music. He listens to a lot of the same music I do (he likes Rush, Van Halen, Yes...) and I have picked up a lot of my listening style (of late) from him. He has introduced me to Trance music (whhich I can't hardly get enough of) and he has kept me much more current than many of my peers in music listening.

A few weeks ago, I took a day (I listen to music at work while I am programming) and listened to Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory (not for the first time) seriously to see what I thought of them. Typically, I buy CDs off of eBay and then copy them to my laptop so I don't have to carry them around to listen to them (quite an expensive iPod!). I didn't copy this one to my hard drive.

I can sum up what I think of them very quickly. First of all I don't like rap, at least what rap has become since the Sugar Hill Gang made it popular. I don't mind a bit of it sprinkled when it adds value. Second, there's just way too much angst in their music for me. But here is the kicker. Why should I listen to them when there is a group that has taken the best parts of their sound, added some better talent and made much better music...Hoobastank. If you don't believe me, just listen to both albums back-to-back and tell me I'm wrong.

No comments:

"...Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect the Lord's glory, are being transformed into his likeness with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit." 2 Corinthians 3:7-18